Bank Better, Live Better
keep your credit card safe
Keeping your card safe helps protect you from cybercrime and identity theft.
When making cash withdrawals at the ATM
- Have your card ready in your hand before you get to the ATM
- Cover the PIN pad with your hand and don't let anyone see you entering your secret PIN
- Be alert if strangers offer to help you and don't get distracted, even if you're struggling with the transaction
When paying at shops or restaurants
- Keep your card in plain sight at all times
- Restaurants or garages have portable card machines that can be brought to you. If none are available, insist on accompanying the salesperson, waiter or petrol attendant to another location so you can pay with your card. This doesn't mean that while your card is not in sight that your data is being stolen – the cause for concern, however, is the possibility, which could mean the future risk of unlawful transactions
- Register for transaction notifications to receive notifications on your cellphone for money-out transactions when your card is used
When using your card online
- Don't open suspicious or unfamiliar emails and never click on attachments or links in unexpected emails
- Don't share your personal information or banking details by email, on social media or on unauthorised, unsecured websites
- Check the website's security certificates when making an online purchase
When banking on your phone
- Keep your Mobile Banking PIN secret and never share it with anyone
- You must only enter your Mobile Banking PIN when using Mobile Banking
- Not even a Capitec Bank employee will ask you for your Mobile Banking PIN, so if anyone asks, be suspicious
- Ensure that you don't save your PIN anywhere on your cellphone in case it gets stolen
you may also like...
how to balance full-time work and part-time studies
Working full time and studying on the side can be tricky, but it doesn’t have to be.
are you in need of credit relief or assistance?
We’re doing everything we can to help you during the COVID-19 crisis. If your income has been affected, speak to us about our credit payment relief and assistance options and our 100% interest refund (valid until 19 July 2020).
your 5-step guide to stress-free home renovations
Maybe you’re planning to remodel your kitchen, turn your garage into a home office or simply update your bathroom. Before you start any renovations, here’s what you should know.