Unfortunately, criminals use the holiday rush for cash to target people in ATM cash robberies and card swapping fraud.
Here are a few ways to avoid the cash rush and keep your money safe:
- Before you start, draw up a budget and commit to sticking to it
- Whether you’re buying gifts, a cup of coffee or just paying for parking, use your card instead of cash. You pay zero purchase fees paying with your card, and won’t need to carry large amounts of cash that criminals could steal
- Track your spending on our app so you always know exactly where you’ve spent your money and how much you still have available
- If you do need cash, get it at a Pick n Pay, Checkers, Shoprite or Boxer tills for only R1.50, or find another bank’s ATM that’s quieter and pay only R2.50 more than at a Capitec ATM to withdraw cash
- When you withdraw cash, don’t be distracted at the ATM. Always make sure you get your own card back. Never share your PIN with anyone. Keep it a secret
- To protect yourself if something does happen, don’t have your daily card limits set too high. Use our app to manage all your limits and stop lost or stolen cards anywhere 24/7. If you don’t have our app, contact us immediately on 0860 10 20 43 if your card is lost or stolen
- Rather transfer money and pay people or accounts on your phone by using our app or dialling *120*3279#
- Register and activate your card for online shopping and buy from online stores such as Takealot.com. This way you don’t have to worry about finding and paying for parking, or fighting your way through a busy mall in the middle of summer
Looking for some Black Friday deals?
Check out this handy list of 58 deals from the folks at Fin24.