We will never ask for your PIN or password by email, SMS, phone or face-to-face.
How does SIM swap fraud work?
- A criminal will contact you posing as a Capitec Bank employee or representative
- They will ask you for enough personal information that they can use to perform a SIM swap on your number
- Once they have access to your number, they can use it to take money out of your account
What can you do about it?
- Never share your cellphone banking PIN with anyone
- Use a unique PIN number that only you know. Don’t use common numbers such as birthdays
- Never save your cellphone banking PIN or any other banking and personal information on your phone
- Don’t respond to suspicious numbers or messages asking for personal information
- If your phone is lost or stops working, contact us immediately to cancel your cellphone banking