Bank Better, Live Better
How we put our community first
We moved swiftly to counter the impact of COVID-19 in all areas of the bank. But our first and most important concern is the health and safety of our employees and our clients.
How we put our employees and clients first
As part of our commitment to help #FlattenTheCurve, we continue to promote the use of our Remote Banking channels to bank safely from home, and provide clients and stakeholders with financial health tips and information.
Along with best-practice safety protocols, here are some of the ways we're looking after our employees and clients:
- 50% of our branches are still open; our consultants rotate in shifts to allow for social distancing
- These branches are open Monday – Friday, 9am – 4pm and closed on weekends
- Selected branches are able to give telephonic support to clients, effectively operating like mini call centres
- If a card expires during the nationwide lockdown period, it will be kept active until the lockdown ends
Relief for SMEs
We waived the minimum merchant account fee and monthly card machine rental for Capitec merchants who can't trade during the lockdown. Businesses that bank with the newly acquired Mercantile Bank are also assisted with credit restructuring at a large scale to help their cash flow and sustainability.
Partnering with Industry
Our clients are able to stay safe and bank from home using our banking app, and benefit from lower transaction fees. If you're a Vodacom, MTN, Telkom Mobile or Cell C subscriber, you pay zero data charges.
For clients who need to use cash, we offer:
- No cash withdrawal fees for SASSA grant recipients
- Withdraw cash at any other bank’s ATM for the same fee as a Capitec ATM
Commitment to community
We've made donations towards the Solidarity Fund and Gift of the Givers Foundation, which go towards screening and testing to prevent the spread of COVID-19. Furthermore, we will continue to meet payment commitments to our suppliers and landlords.
Clients with credit are assisted on an individual basis to help provide cash flow relief in the form of rescheduling, payment breaks or credit insurance cover. Read more about credit relief.