Bank Better, Live Better
banking channel safety01/05/2017
Paying with your Global One card, using your cellphone or by Internet banking is easy, convenient and safe.
If you’re concerned about the safety of your money, here’s how you’re protected.
Tip: Most fraud happens when people give away their personal identification number (PIN) or password. Keep yours a secret.
Using your card
How it’s secured
Your Global One card has a chip and PIN.
- Keep your PIN a secret and change it regularly. Never make it easy to guess
- Register for transaction notifications to alert you when money is going in or out of your account, or both, or when any of your card limits are changed
- Keep your card in sight when you use it to pay at the shops, in a restaurant or at the garage
- Check the amount before you enter your PIN
- Monitor your account and check that the transactions are valid
Don’t shop online at Internet cafés. Always use secure websites; the website address should start with https instead of http
Banking on your cellphone
How it’s secured
Whether you use our cellphone app or *120*3279#, you’re protected by a PIN which only you know.
On the app, you sign in with your Remote PIN. Every transaction also needs to be approved using your Remote PIN, which must be entered in the pop-up screen in the app.
Your app is linked to your phone, not your SIM card. If your phone is stolen, your app can’t be accessed without the PIN. And if you forget to sign out, you’ll be signed out automatically after 5 minutes.
If you want to access your money by dialling *120*3279#, you will need to enter your Mobile Banking PIN to approve transactions.
- Keep your PINs a secret – never share them with anyone. No Capitec Bank employee will ever ask you for them
- Don’t save your PIN on your cellphone
- Ignore messages asking you to turn your cellphone off or make changes to your SIM or cellphone as part of any service upgrade
- Let us know immediately if your phone is stolen on 0860 10 20 43
- Be aware of the access you give third-party apps that you download onto your phone
How it’s secured
You access Internet banking using a combination of your username and password.
- Make sure no one has unauthorised access to your computer and cellphone app (or keyring token)
- Keep your sign-in details a secret
- Always verify that you are on https://direct.capitecbank.co.za/ibank/
- Don’t open suspicious mails or click on attachments or links in unexpected mails
- Avoid public computers at Internet cafés
- Don’t sign into another website while you’re signed into Internet banking
you may also like...
protect yourself against sms fraud
Fraudsters know that people are spending more and more time on their smartphones. They also know that smartphones are used on the go, or when people are in a hurry, and less likely to scrutinise their SMS messages. Criminals like to use this to their advantage.
protect yourself against vishing
Fraudsters call people intending to mislead them into giving them confidential information. Protect your banking information – remember, banks will never ask you to share this information over the phone.
stay in control of your debit orders
There’s a very good reason why you receive DebiCheck notifications. By approving new debit orders you will make your Capitec account even more secure.