What is scan to pay?
- It's a payment service you can use on our app that lets you make secure cashless payments with your Global One card
- It’s easier, quicker and safer than paying with cash – and your card won't even leave your wallet
- It allows you to scan a quick response (QR) code (an array of black and white squares like a barcode) directly from our app to pay for your purchases
- To pay, scan any major QR codes like MasterpassTM, SnapScan and ZapperTM from our app at participating retailers and merchants in-store and online
- The many layers of security within our app make scan to pay very safe to use. All purchases are also subject to the card limits you set and must be authenticated by your biometrics, facial recognition or secret Remote PIN
How to scan to pay
Download the Capitec app below to get started!
Once you've downloaded our app, sign in and set your online limits:
Step 1: Tap Transact
Step 2: Tap Scan to pay
Step 3: If it's your first time using scan to pay, read and accept the agreement then allow the app to access your camera
Step 4: Tap Scan to scan the QR code displayed at the paypoint, on the card machine in-store or at checkout online
Step 5: Choose a card to pay with (your debit card is your default payment card)
Step 6: Enter the amount
Step 7: Tap Pay
To add scan to pay to your favourites for quick access:
- On the home screen, tap Edit to view your current favourites
- Choose Scan to pay from the list of favourites
Note: You can have a maximum of 6 favourites displayed on the home screen. So if you already have 6, you'll have to remove one of your other favourites.
You don’t need multiple apps on your phone, scan the major QR codes straight from our app.
Where you can use Capitec scan to pay
- Look out or ask for MasterpassTM, SnapScan and ZapperTMQR codes at paypoints (usually on the card machine or on display), at checkout online or on your account statements
- Scan to pay at our Live Better rewards partners like Dis-Chem and Shell, at retailers like Shoprite, Checkers and Pick n Pay or at restaurants and markets. You can also scan to pay your accounts like DStv
Why use scan to pay?
- When you use scan to pay, there are no transaction fees (depending on the card you choose to pay with, there may however be card-related fees, e.g. if you use your credit card, you may be charged interest on your credit card balance)
- You don't need to have multiple apps on your phone, scan the major QR codes straight from our app
- Unlike other QR payment apps, you can view your available balance before making a purchase
- If you’re a Vodacom, MTN or Cell C subscriber, you automatically qualify for zero-rated data. This means you don't need any data to use our app, you just need airtime to ensure your phone line is open