What is international travel insurance?
International travel insurance covers any unexpected medical expenses while you’re travelling abroad. If you’re a client under the age of 75, and you purchase and pay for the full cost of your flight ticket with your Capitec credit card, you’ll automatically receive free basic travel insurance. You may also opt-in for comprehensive top-up cover at your own cost if additional cover is required.
- Free basic cover– Emergency medical and related expenses of up to R5 million as specified in the benefit schedule that will be supplied to you by Travel Insurance Consultants (TIC)
- Comprehensive top-up cover – Extra benefits such as trip cancellation, hijacking and wrongful detention, lost or stolen baggage and legal expenses. You may arrange this separately through the TIC website or TIC call centre. TIC will provide a quotation for the extra premium and will collect the payment from you
Conditions for cover
- You must pay for your return flight ticket in full with your Capitec credit card before your journey starts
- You must be under 75 years of age
- Your trip must be shorter than 90 days
- International travel insurance does not cover domestic travel, even if you purchase and pay with your credit card
- International travel insurance is not available on Mastercard® debit cards
- The insurance only covers you and your immediate family
How to activate the cover
To activate your international travel cover, you can contact the TIC call centre Monday to Friday from 8am – 5pm using any of the following channels:
Should you have a medical emergency while travelling internationally, contact Europ Assistance 24/7 on +27 11 991 8409.
How to claim
- You or Europ Assistance should contact TIC directly
- The claim will be lodged
- The relevant documentation will be supplied to TIC
TIC contact centre for claims
- Monday to Friday from 8am – 5pm
- T +27 11 521 4000
- E Claims@tic.co.za